Sunday, January 4, 2009

Linux





I started using windows in 1992. So I expected to have some problems getting used to an entirely new operating system. Linux Ubuntu installed easily enough – it took a lot less time than a windows XP installation, and asked fewer questions. It came with Sun microsystems open office as well and a few other programs – such as Firefox, Rhythm music player, Totem movie player and a bunch of games and accessories. There were no problems with installation, and a problem I had been having for months with my wireless network card cleared up after the system automatically downloaded a couple of hundred updates shortly after I logged on the first time.

There was no firewall included, but apparently you don't really need one because Linux doesn't have all the vulnerabilities that come with Windows. I downloaded one anyway because I have been hacked three times recently and I am making this switch in order to improve my security.

Software downloads couldn't be much easier, with hundreds of applications available from the applications menu, you just click on the ones you want and they are downloaded and installed with no trouble at all. Some programs, such as the Cinelerra movie editing software require a bit more fiddling about with terminal commands, but as a fairly expert Windows user I had little difficulty figuring out how that all worked.

Within about four hours from completing the backup of my windows drive I was up and running, seamlessly using documents from my NTFS backup drive. The Cinelerra software is vastly more capable than the commercial software I had been using for movies, and remains the only program I have installed so far that may take some time to learn.

My only regret, now that I have been a Linux user for more than a week, is that I didn't do this years ago.

2 comments:

  1. i've used Ubuntu a bunch, as well as Fedora, (also very recommended) Puppy Linux, (what Ran Prieur, and my laptop run) and i've briefly tried Gentoo, but that ones much more complex

    Puppy Linux is great and tiny (around 100 mb) and comes with all the needed software

    Fedora is bigger and a better for more advanced users, (a problem i have with Ubuntu) its also easy to get software for it using the YUM system

    unfortunately most of the programs i use regularly dont work well or at all on linux, but i always keep it for backups, and i really wish i could run it all the time, it also makes my laptop run at a normal speed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I have been using Ubuntu for a few weeks I can see lots of limitations.

    It does the job I installed it for - security, but I am going to have to get a Windows machine (or a mac) to do the graphics.

    I have neither the time nor the patience to do screen intensive/storage intensive/graphics intensive work on this bloody laptop.

    ReplyDelete